Barn Owl - The Lost Spells
Task 1:Have a go at answering these questions:
- Why does silence spread below the barn owl?
- What is meant by ‘All sound crouches to ground’?
- What does Robert Macfarlane mean when he says, ‘Noise is what Owl hunts’?
- What effect is created by the line 'Over rushes, across marshes, Owl hushes'
- What other words or phrases captured your imagination?
Task 2: (Do not worry if you don't get this far - we will have a go at this in our writing session!)
Watch this clip from BBC Earth to learn how a barn owl flies silently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_FEaFgJyfA
Challenge: Can you write your own acrostic poem or kenning to describe the barn owl? Try and be really descriptive with your choice of verbs (action words) and adjectives (describing words)
Task 3: Listen to Kerry Andrew’s musical interpretation of ‘Barn Owl’ in ‘Ghost Owl’. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkMW41HExX4